Tuesday, March 3, 2009

What is this?

My name is Derek Sacerdote and I am running for New York City Council District 46, as a Libertarian. I have taught science at Samuel J Tilden High School since 1998. As you might imagine, choosing to run as a third party candidate is a major obstacle. Many people don't know much about "third" parties, and those who do often don't have confidence enough to use their vote on one. I chose the Libertarian Party because I feel it best represents what New York City, like America believes in: that government has specific roles which it should fulfill well, but that government should not intrude into or control every aspect of citizens' lives. My hope is that using technology such as facebook, and blogspot, I will be able to spread ideas and converse with voters through a more comfortable, convenient (and easy) format which voters can use at their leisure. What's different about using the internet is that unlike a pamphlet, you can actually talk to me and to other voters about issues. Let's face it: people have busy lives and can't spare time to go to speeches or meetings. We now live our lives by keeping up with people for a few short seconds online when we get the chance. Why let a busy life keep you from exercising your political rights?

3 comments:

  1. Hi Derek,

    Your link, "My Personal Story" does not "open up". Can you solve this problem.

    Carl Svensson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, it does appear to open up; I just expected a bit more biographical information.

    Carl

    ReplyDelete
  3. I grew up in Manhattan Beach, the son of an endocrinologist and a teacher. I have a younger sister who is currently a phD candidate and she is researching amphibian reproduction and ecology. I grew up with an extended family, many of whom would have been called "hippies" in the day, for the strong value they place on personal freedom. I am now a homeowner in Canarsie. My interests include restoring old cars, bicycle riding, solar and other off grid energy, home gardening, as well as raising tropical fish and other animals. I teach and tutor Biology, Chemistry, Earth Science, Physics, Math, and Writing. What else about me personally would anyone be interested to know?

    ReplyDelete